Tuesday 13 July 2010

Value our own assets


Recently, I took part in debate/discussion via online at CNN-IBN about Sunita William's 2nd Spaceflight, scheduled in 2012. The background was created that only Sunia William's is the female astronaut and she brought glory to India as She is Indian...

I was disappointed with the news which is shown with little bit "different" manner. Mrs. Sunita Williams has indeed done remarkable job during her last spaceflight along with her team. As a space engineer and space mission analyst, I would like to say that its not so easy to spend even 30 days in zero gravity.There are lots of work to be carried out at ISS and for that one has to do many "spacewalks". Mrs. Williams has spent around 6 months at ISS during her last spaceflight. Over there you are away from your social life and there are many physical and psychological effects on human bodies in zero gravity. Whatever she has done, it is outstanding contribution.

The issue is why it is so much highlighted, is it only because she has Indian connection? If it is, then let me tell you the recent incidence of GSAT-4 failure of ISRO. At that time media was busy in blaming the scientists for the failure. A space mission is not only of one person. There are hundreds and thousands of scientist and engineers are involved in the mission devoting a huge amount of their precious time for the mission. If the mission gets success, we appreciate, but if it gets fail, why we blame on our scientists?

I am at present carrying out research studies at Cranfield Space Research Center, Cranfield University (UK) and I involved myself in an important project to remove space debris from low earth orbits (Project DR LEO). At present, developing model to measure soil moisturement for climate change which can predict rain/flood/drought and vegetation growth, using GeoSAR images.

I am not writing about me to showcase my work or myself, BUT I am only one example !! There are lots of highly knowledgeable and senior scientist and engineers in our country, in front of them I am not even 1%. The reason behind the above view is WE HAVE ENOUGH POTENTIAL AND INTELLECTUALS then why we are keeping ourselves in BUTTERING somebody? I have been in industry from quality amount of time, I do not think that our Indian media itself, has given proper value to Wg. Cdr. (Retd.) Rakesh Sharma, Dr. Madhvan Nair, Dr. Kasturirangan, Prof. Yash Pal, Dr. Satish Dhawan, Dr. Radhakrishnan, Dr. B N Suresh, Dr. Annadurai, Dr. Kalam, Dr. Selvamurthy...etc. We have such real "KOHINOORS" but still we'll prefer to praise AMERICAN DIAMOND. I am not against the appreciation for Mrs. Williams, as an astronaut, she has indeed done good work BUT she is not the only one. Why we forget Late Kalpana Chawla !!

Appreciation, of good things and good personalities like Mrs. Williams, is really matter of honor and respect, BUT too much is not good. I respect and value the appreciation and acknowledgement of remarkable work by Mrs. Williams and other astronauts, BUT on other hand also, I respect our own "Kohinoors". Apologize if I am hurting somebody's feelings, the only intention was to make us all aware that we have enough to make our country shine!

Thank you all.

Regards,
Rushi GHADAWALA

2 comments:

  1. thank you sir for enlightening all of us commonors about the serious rigours of space.
    u r right in india the media is just a stooge of politicians who just want to divert the attention of masses from the real issues of price rise n sad state of infrastructure....
    thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I am agree with you but as per my thinking, we should not give rise to remember Kalpana Chawla as she married an American for the sake of entry in Space Organization in USA. The thing on which we should concentrate is how to grow up an interest of Space Science among common people in India. If we need to talk on the matter of Shining India, then we should concentrate on that, not on media side. Media has always played two kind of rolls either good or bad. But as an Indian,we should not blame anybody but we should start work on our own because we are the people only who can take a ladder. So as per my thinking we should continue on that manner. More over I can tell you that the group of young people in India is working on exploration of Space Science among under privileged kids and they are really working nice by this way. Astronauts up to now has just did their job nothing else. The true thing is to explore it and to share among the people who don't know and are very eager to know. Hope you can understand my view Dr. Ghadawala. You can find more information on that group by mailing them on projectantrix@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete